Monday, April 6, 2009

Baboon blows his own bugle (Jakkals prys sy eie stert)

If there’s one thing I’ve been thinking about a lot for quite a while now then it’s about how differently everyone perceives the world.

Few weeks back my cricket club played their last game and I was fortunate enough to be “the hero of the day”.

It was probably the best game I’ve had in my whole life and definitely the biggest effect my performance has ever had on the result of any game I’ve participated in.

Sure I’ve played some great, even better, innings but in those teams I was always let down and I can’t remember a single game I’ve had a good innings in that we actually won...none that mattered anyway.

Back to the above mentioned game though: sure there were some real important innings before me that without which we could not have won, but in my view I’d like to have seen them do what I did had they come in under the circumstances I did.

They did their part and without their help I could not have hit the winning runs, but looking at it the other way round their runs meant nothing without me there at the end.

I am more than willing to give credit where it’s been earned but don’t I deserve the same?

I’m not angry, actually I find it quite funny how someone else can see a totally different view to mine.

Didn’t I deserve more than a passing mention where my performance was watered down by saying it was done as a partnership...funny...in that partnership of 22 I scored 15 of the runs...

Afterwards my partner also made remarks about how I hadn’t done much to win us the game...what a tainted view on life.

I know that everyone sees themselves as the main character, mostly the hero, in their own story.

This is true of me as well, but I find it a lot more fun if I could be one of a winning TEAM and sharing the glory instead of watering down others’ achievements to feel better about my own.

True glory is sweet.

Blowing your own bugle is pathetic.