Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The greatest gift

I originally wanted to call this piece "swallow your pride" or "the bite of pride" or something like that, but in the end I decided on the greatest gift worth giving.
Right throughout my life I’ve felt the bite of pride may times and even right up until this very last weekend I’ve felt it clear as daylight.
The feeling that no matter how good you are there is someone better at something.
For parents or older siblings it comes along the lines of maybe your son or younger brother being a way better rugby player than you ever were.
Well, my brother played for the Griffons and could have gone a whole lot further if he hadn’t quit, but that’s a story for another time.
For a long time I felt it burn deep inside my heart especially when my parents made a point of it.
But later on I realized that much of what he’d become was thanks to me, because I was always there showing him little things and watching as he excelled at what I was just good at or simply capable of.
Pride showed its ugly head at times but mostly I was just plain proud of my little brother.
I’m sure many a father may have the same feelings.
Point I’m trying to make is that whatever your son/daughter/younger sibling turns out to be may very well be thanks to what you’ve done for him/her.
At the moment I’m giving training and there is one specific person that is really excelling at what he’s doing.
He’s doing things at 2 months I only really overcome after about 4 months...I used to be proud of what I’d overcome but ever since this guy came along he’s really been busting my “records” if you can call it that.
But thinking about it a little bit I realized that it’s been my little tricks and shortcuts and general knowledge that I’ve passed down to the guys under me that’s made things easier for them, maybe opened their eyes.
Maybe I can never be great but if I can have a hand at making someone else great in whatever task, then I’ve realized that that really feels a lot better than anything else.
So go out there and share you knowledge.
Maybe you weren’t exceptional but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a hand in making someone else exceptional.

The greatest gift is knowledge..both to someone else and yourself...

No comments: